I've tried 'em all -- stovetop, grill, microwave, and oven on a slotted broiling pan -- but this method makes crispy, evenly-done, flat bacon with substantially less mess than any other method.
Here's the summary:
- use good quality, fairly thickly-cut bacon (I like Wright brand, at Dillon's)
- preheated 400 F oven
- good quality cookie sheet: half sheet for 8 oz of bacon; full sheet for 16 oz.
- cover the cookie sheet with aluminum foil completely; up the sides and around the edge, for the easiest clean up
- lay the bacon on the foil, close but not touching
- bake for 12 minutes, pour off excess oil, return to the oven
- check every two minutes till done to your liking, minus a bit (it will continue to cook a bit after being pulled from the oven)
Clean-up consists of carefully draining off the rest of the grease, wadding up the foil and tossing it in the trash!
For more details, check out the original article from The Kitchn. (Photo from The Kitchn.)